My mother developed dementia rapidly? I paid her bills.
1 attorney answer
1. Without a POA, unless your name is actually on the bank account(s) with your mother you will probably not be able to use the account after she passes because the bank will block it as soon as they get the notice of her death (public record).
2. If you have siblings my strong advice is to notify all of them about this important situation before doing anything on your own.
3. If your siblings can agree on how to handle the money in your mother's account(s) you should do whatever all of you feel is best--perhaps opening a new JOINT account and transferring the balance to it.
4. If your mother is receiving Social Security or any other funds deposited electronically you (and your siblings) should think about how best to handle the future deposits.
5. Hiring an experienced lawyer to help you and advise you as you get through this tangled mess is a really good idea too.
6. Search here on AVVO for the lawyers contact information and contact them ASAP.