Written by attorney Jeffrey Raymond Liebenguth

Can a military service member refuse to accept NJP?

Yes. Except for individuals attached to or embarked on a vessel, service members have the right to refuse nonjudicial punishment. If NJP is refused, a commanding officer has a number of options, including sending the case to court-martial or initiating administrative separation proceedings.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer